Surprising Twitter Stats
2 years ago some people were wondering if Twitter was just a fast fading fad. Surprise! It’s not. Twitter just celebrated the fifth anniversary of it’s very first tweet, so the company released this set of stats to show just how huge its service has become…
- While it took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to get to the billionth tweet, there are now a billion tweets a week.
- A year ago people were sending 50 million tweets a day. On March 11, 2011, the tally was 177 million.
- There were 572,000 new accounts created on March 12, 2011; there were 460,000 new accounts created daily, on average, in the past month.
- Mobile users increased 182% in the past year.
- Twitter had 8 employees in January 2008, compared to 400 employees today.